Awards & Research -
The Neilsen Foundation Allied Health Professional Research Award of ASIA (for ASIA members)
The Craig H. Neilsen Foundation has committed $25,000 per year for a five year period for a research award that will be presented by the American Spinal Injury Association at its annual meeting. The first award will be presented at the 2014 ASIA meeting, scheduled for May 14-17 in San Antonio, TX. This program is designed to encourage clinicians in the field of SCI to incorporate an element of research into their professional practices.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 12/31/2013
- Each applicant must have a certified degree in an allied health professional field, e.g. nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy or social work, and be a member of ASIA in good standing. An applicant may have a Masters or clinical doctorate in his/her field. The applicant must not have other current funding for the project being proposed.
- Each applicant must submit a one-year clinical research proposal in the field of SCI. The rationale should be supported by a recent review of the literature.
- Each applicant must declare a mentor who is a senior researcher in the field of SCI or related area and is also a member of ASIA.
- Each applicant must complete the application form.
- All applications will be transmitted electronically to the email address displayed on the application form.
- All applications will be reviewed by the ASIA Research and Awards Committee and evaluated based upon standard scientific criteria. A representative of the Neilsen Foundation will participate in the selection process.
- Qualifications of each applicant also will be considered in terms of interest in pursuing a research career in SCI.
- The qualifications and dedication of the applicant’s mentor will also be taken into consideration.
- Each applicant must have an appropriate research environment and resources to conduct the proposed research.
- The selection committee will rank the applicants, and the individual whose application is ranked first each year will receive the award, in the amount of $25,000.
- The selected recipient will attend the ASIA meeting to receive his/her award in person, and will be required to attend the first ASIA meeting held after the conclusion of the research project, to present his/her findings to meeting attendees.
Deadline for receipt of applications is: December 31, 2013